Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge, located in the pristine Sierra Barahuco Mountains of the Dominican Republic, offers travelers green luxury with ease. For the first time this innovative property is shedding light on its environmental focus, and the array of eco initiatives that set it apart. From its own hydroelectric generator to community efforts to clean the shore, these green practices are sure to excite the eco-conscious traveler.
Nurturing a symbiotic relationship with the natural environment and local community, Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge shows how the best of creature comforts and sustainable hospitality practices go hand-in-hand.
Eco-friendly initiatives include:
- Hydro Plant – Situated on the Riosito River that runs through the property, the lodge’s own hydroelectric generator supplies the hotel with 30% of its energy. Guests are taken to visit the hydro plant – raising awareness of the viability of renewable energy practices.
- Farm-to-Table Cuisine – With its own organic garden supplying the restaurant with fresh vegetables and herbs, Casa Bonita’s innovative cuisine is the product of the hotel’s commitment to sustainable farm-to-table practices. All produce is sourced locally and fishermen from the town of Barahuco catch the fresh fish daily.
- Tanama Eco Spa – Nestled in the Bahoruco forest, Tanama Eco Spa’s signature treatment is performed in the river for an all-encompassing natural experience that exemplifies the hotel’s environmental connection. The spa’s products are all locally sourced featuring ingredients such as organic fruits, vegetables, herbs and native stones, without the addition of chemicals or pesticides.
- Partnership with FEDOSURF — Casa Bonita has partnered with The Dominican Federation of Surf (FEDOSURF) to restore the beautiful beachfront of Barahona Bahoruco. In addition to working alongside locals to restore the shore, the initiative will provide training for the native surfers in ecosystem management and conservation practices.
- UNESCO Biosphere Reserve — Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge is adjacent to Jaragua-Bahoruco-Enriquillo Biosphere Reserve, the only UNESCO Biosphere reserve in the Dominican Republic. Offering guest’s excursions to the natural wonder, the hotel works to build awareness and celebrate the regions astounding biodiversity.
- Community Outreach – Guests can take part in community efforts to transform the small local shops that sell jewelry made from the Dominican Republic’s indigenous stone, Larimar. Working with the locals, guests can participate in the upkeep, spending an afternoon painting and refurbishing storefronts, while also learning how the native Larimar is worked.
Located in the Dominican Republic’s unspoiled southwestern Barahuco Mountains, the 12-cabaña Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge offers green luxury with ease for the eco-conscious traveler.
Situated on 160 acres of pristine wilderness, Casa Bonita features its own electricity-producing hydro plant, a signature, organic river spa, farm-to-table cuisine, and opportunities to partake in local sustainability initiatives.
For further information visit www.casabonitadr.com or call 800-961-5133.
For more travel features, visit:
‘Like’ us on facebook.com/NewsPhotoFeatures