With its mesmerizing blue waters, tall mountains and endless activities, Lake Tahoe is an immensely popular summer vacation destination. With so much to do, it can be hard to pinpoint exactly how to spend your time at Tahoe, but the experts at Zephyr Cove Resort, Lake Tahoe Cruises and Heavenly Mountain Resort have teamed up to develop this list of the top ten things to do at South Lake Tahoe.
- Take a Cruise: “You can’t go to Lake Tahoe without getting out on the lake,” says Tony Lyle, director of sales and marketing for Lake Tahoe Cruises. The lake is home to two authentic Mississippi paddlewheel boats, the M.S. Dixie II and Tahoe Queen. Both boats offer charm, entertainment and the best views of the lake with cruises to Emerald Bay, dinner cruises, and a brunch cruise on the M.S. Dixie II every Sunday morning.
- Go to the top of Heavenly: The best summer views of Lake Tahoe are a 12-minute, 2.4-mile ride on the Heavenly Gondola. Stepping out onto the Mid-station Observation Deck at 9,123 feet of elevation, guests will be amazed by the fabulous views of the Carson Valley, Desolation Wilderness and a rare shore-to-shore view of Lake Tahoe. From the Deck, continue the ride up the Gondola to Adventure Peak, where you can dine at Tamarack Lodge, enjoy tubing, a rock climbing wall and more than eight miles of hiking trails.
- Spend a day at the beach: What is a lake vacation without a day on the beach? Zephyr Cove Beach is a regular of “Best Lakes of Lake Tahoe” lists and for good reason. The long, sandy cove is ideal for sunbathing, swimming and other beach activities. Steps from the shore, you can grab a drink and bite to eat at the Sunset Bar & Grille with its fabulous views of the lake and laid-back summer ambiance.
- Tour Vikingsholm: This world-famous replica of a Scandinavian castle is open daily for tours throughout summer. In July and August, you can park at Eagle Point State Park and enjoy a 1.7-mile hike along Emerald Bay to Vikingsholm for added enjoyment.
- Rent a powerboat: Want to accelerate the fun at Lake Tahoe? Tubing, skiing and boarding behind a powerboat is a high-octane way to see Tahoe. Explore coves, inlets and far off portions of the lake quickly and efficiently with a powerboat rental from Zephyr Cove Marina.
- Horseback ride through the Sierras: Enjoy the area’s serenity and beauty as you amble over forested scenic trails with amazing views of the lake and surrounding mountains. One, 1.5 and two hour guided trips are available, as are breakfast, lunch and dinner rides. Call 775-588-5664 to reserve.
- Explore Heavenly Village: Right in the heart of South Lake Tahoe, Heavenly Village offers shopping, dining, mini-golf, a movie theatre and access to the Gondola for a splendid afternoon or evening on the town.
- Kayak/paddle board on the lake: While the paddlewheel boats are a great way to see much of the lake from a high vantage point, kayaking or paddle boarding is a relaxing and intimate way to see the lake up close, observing its wildlife and gentle currents from just above the surface. Rentals are available at the Zephyr Cove Marina.
- Go parasailing: Get airborne for a truly unique way to see Tahoe. Parasailing will lift you 1,000 feet into the air as the lake shrinks under your feet to open up stunning views and high-flying fun. Call 775-589-4901 for information and reservations.
- Play a game of beach volleyball: Standing upon sun-warmed sand with the lake in the background makes for an inspiring atmosphere for a game of volleyball. Zephyr Cove Resort is host to professional volleyball tournaments due to its regulation courts and breathtaking location. Court use is free and volleyballs are available from the Sunset Bar & Grille.
For lodging and cruise packages available throughout summer, visit www.zephyrcove.com/lake-tahoe-specials-packages.aspx
Visitors can find information about Zephyr Cove’s lodging and activities at www.zephycove.com or by calling 800-23-TAHOE. For Heavenly Resort, visit http://www.skiheavenly.com/ or call 800-HEAVENLY. General information about all of South Lake Tahoe can be found at http://tahoesouth.com/
For more travel features, visit: